Sunday, July 14, 2019

Tyre Options for Camry Hybrid

Morning guys...
One of the most important things in maintaining a car is getting the best tyres. At 85 ,000 kilometers, I'm now considering and deliberating again which tyres to go for my Toyota Camry hybrid. We have been spoilt for choices in terms of the options that we have. Down here, I would list down the best tyres from my own perspectives based on my usage of the tyres and also based on my readings of the reviews of tires by tyre experts.
1. Michelin PIlot Sport 4
If money is not an issue, my first choice would be Michelin PS 4. I've been using these tyres for the last 2 1/2 years and extremely satisfied with its performance. I would always show off a bit around corners in Putrajaya and on B roads if there are Myvi drivers around just to show who's the boss . The best part of the tyre is the wet and dry grips. It will just stick to the road surface like glue when cornering hard. Nothing beats this tyre for overall performace. The only drawback is the exorbitant price which is around RM 500 a piece. I also noticed a bit of "looseness " in term of high-speed stability of the tyre but this could just be my subjective impression. The big surprise that I like about the tyre is how quiet it is for a high-performance tyre.
2. Michelin PS 3
This would have been my second choice. I've not had any experience using this tyre but reviews for this tyre are just exemplary. It's said that this tyre is even better than PS 4 in the wet which is very important factor in rainy Malaysia. We really need good tyres for the wet grip especially in these few months of the monsoon season. This tyre is probably the best compromise for all important aspects of tyre ownership including the price. Heard it can be bought at RM 400 a piece.
3. Continental Premium Contact.
This is the tyre that I used when I was driving the last generation of Honda Accord.I love the tyre for its comfort and dry grip. The tyre is reasonably quiet but not as quiet as the PS 4. BMWs and Mercedes Benzes are known to use these tyres for their luxury cars. The problem with the tyre is the pricing. There's not much difference between this and the Michelin PS 4 and as such the latter is the best option.
4.Goodyear Excellence.
Goodyear used to be the best tyres to have but somehow they have lost the title. Nowadays, not many people have used this brand in their luxury cars.The brand is more popular amongst the A and C classes owners. The price of the tyre hovers around RM 350 which is quite reasonable. The performance of the tyre is mostly average although the thread lasts quite long. I was using this tyre when driving my Honda Civic. Just a mediocre tyre.
5. Bridgestone Turanza ER 33
This is the OEM tyre for Camry hybrid.I love the dry grip of the tyre but the biggest problem is the noise that it emits. This is among the noisiest tyre around and will get even louder towards the end of its life. I actually changed this tyre at 32 thousand kilometers and felt happy about it even though high-speed stability of the tyre is excellent. Another drawback is the comfort which is not that good.
6. Hankook Kinergy Gt
If money is the biggest issue, this is the tyre that I would get for my Camry Hybrid. You can actually get this tyre at around RM 300. I've used this brand on my Myvi and quite happy with the performance. The tyre is not that noisy and handling is not that bad. I've heard that this tyre (Kinergy) is now made OEM tyre for the new Toyota Camry in Japan... Yes, the new Camry that was just introduced recently at RM 189 K.
So, guys , these are my takes on tyres for Toyota Camry. I hope this will help you to some extent to choose the best tyre for your ride. Please comment further to help out our other members to decide the best option.
Happy motoring

No comments:

Post a Comment